How to Extend a Marriage Contract - Chapter 21
How to Extend a Marriage Contract - Chapter 21
Emily hesitated and opened her mouth first. In the beginning, she decided to speak coldly on purpose.
“Stop sending me gifts. There isn’t enough space here.”
“They are not gifts.”
"What…?”
When Emily only blinked as she could not understand his words, Kyle added an explanation.
“It seemed that there were a lot of things that were lacking because you went out with just one suitcase.”
It was absurd to think like that. Emily pointed to the flowers that filled the parlor.
“That’s enough! Then what are those flowers? Did I leave that too?”
“I did it because I was worried that if I just sent the other things, it would look disrespectful.”
"What?"
Emily laughed involuntarily. At the same time, Kyle's face loosened. He even smiled.
His eyes, which usually looked angry because they stretched upward, curved beautifully. He was so handsome when he smiled. It was too much.
Emily, staring blankly at him, came to her senses after a while. Ah, this isn't the time. Emily made up an angry face.
“Don’t laugh! I’m still angry."
"I'm sorry."
Kyle quickly hardened his face. Emily's heart softened when she saw his well-trained puppy-like appearance.
No, her resentment was long gone as soon as she heard his confession. It is said that if you love, you lose. Emily decided to ask what she had wanted to ask since they were communicating right now. She wanted her voice to sound cold.
“Why did you pretend to lose your memory? No, when did you get your memory back?”
"That….”
Kyle swept his face as if it were hard to talk and sighed for a long time. After a moment of hesitation, he finally opened his mouth.
“It is true that I lost my memory in the subjugation. Getting my memories back... It was the very next day after I returned to the mansion.”
“… you, you…!”
Shameless! He was such a sly man!
Emily's face turned red. Kyle quickly opened his mouth again when she looked like she would get up from her seat at any moment.
“I was just afraid that you would abandon me! I never thought to… make fun of you.”
“Why are you talking about me? Don’t make weird excuses!”
Kyle sighed again and rubbed his wrinkled brow.
"You… you don't like warm men....”
"What?"
“You said that…. A man who falls in love easily is no fun."
“What are you talking about?”
Kyle closed his eyes tightly. His ears were dyed red and his brow furrowed. Emily stared intently as his handsome face drenched in embarrassment.
"I heard…. you talking with Lady Jackson..., yes, I eavesdropped. I apologize for that.”
Eavesdropped? Apologizing aside, what conversation was he talking about....
“A conversation with Rebecca? When?”
“The conversations you two had in the stable, library…. and in the garden.”
She still didn't know what conversation he was talking about. Rebecca came to Count Lampard's mansion several times, but Kyle must have left the capital at that time to subdue monsters....
Seeing Emily tilting her head, Kyle added an explanation.
“It was when you were in the academy. You said that blunt guys were fun to swear at.”
"Ah….”
Only then could Emily recall the conversations she had with Rebecca while running around the school. It was very vague, but she could roughly guess what the conversation was like.
“A man who falls in love easily is boring. It's not my type.”
“But last time you said you didn’t like the blunt guy?” (TN: the word used is 퉁명스러운 which means blunt, curt, and brusque. Basically a bad boy type)
“Come to think of it, it was fun to read it while critiquing it.” (TN: refer to Chapter 1)
He must have overheard such a conversation! Emily's face turned bright red.
"That… That was a conversation about of the male lead of a novel...!”
“Isn’t that your ideal type?”
“Of course not!”
What was this guy thinking! Emily eventually jumped out of her seat. She pointed at Kyle, who didn't know what to do with her reaction.
“As the protagonist of a novel, I may like bad boys, but in reality, I want my husband to be a man who can even wash my feet!”
“I didn’t know….”
Emily frowned at Kyle, who seemed really embarrassed. Thinking about what happened, back then....
“So when you said to me, ‘I will make sure you never do that again,’ were you copying dialogue from a novel?” (TN: refer to Chapter 18)
"I'm sorry."
“…….”
An awkward silence passed between the two of them for a moment. The only sound in the room was the ticking of the hands of the wall clock. It was Emily who broke the silence and spoke.
"Since when… did you like… me?”
Emily stammered without finishing her sentence properly, even though she had repeated the question several times in her head. The embarrassing issues already passed by in the first place. But for some reason, her heart was beating even harder now.
“Since you went to school….”
"What?"
“… I met you on a few occasions when I was helping with school events.”
Emily's mouth opened slowly. It wasn’t that she didn’t have any memories of meeting him, but....
“Weren’t you glaring at me?”
“I was just staring.” (TN: unfortunate reality of having a resting bitch face lol)
“…….”
Thinking back on it, it seemed that he was staring at her with burning eyes rather than glaring at her....
Her mouth widened as she recalled the moment he proposed.
“Then why did you propose a contract marriage…!”
“Because I thought that a man who suddenly visited and confessed his love would not be to your liking. This was the only way I could get married while hiding my feelings.”
Emily's shoulders slumped. Oh my God, my God. She was also clumsy with relationships between a man and a woman, but she didn't expect anyone as unskilled as Kyle.
“What were you going to do when the contract period ended?”
“I was going to confess my feelings.”
“…….”
“I mean it. To you, I may be a man who falls in love easily such that you don’t believe me, but I have always felt the same way.”
“You’re an idiot….”
Emily somehow suppressed her tears. But when Kyle knelt in front of her and pulled out a ring, her tears eventually broke out.
“Emily, I love you.”
“…….”
“Will you marry me?”
“Kyle….”
“Not a contract this time, but a real marriage.”
“Heuk….”
She buried her face in her hands and Kyle hugged her. Emily cried and yelled at him.
“I haven’t answered yet!”
“Please, Emily….”
She felt his body, which she thought was only strong, trembling softly. Emily laughed and wept in his arms. Kyle whispered pitifully in Emily's ear, not knowing what expression she was making.
“I’ll wash your feet as much as you like….”
“It’s too late!”
Emily pushed Kyle hard on the chest. His shocked face is visible. Emily quickly wiped away her tears and smiled brightly at him.
“I already love you.”
“Emily…!”
Kyle couldn't overcome his joy and hugged Emily tightly. This time Emily also hugged him tightly.
“I will make you happy for the rest of your life.”
“… Me too."
The faces of the couple, who looked at each other silently, slowly got closer. It was only a matter of time before their lips clashed and tongues intertwined. A large hand, trembling and caressing Emily's cheek, went from her ear, to her neck, and then slowly crept into her dress.
Just when the sofa leather was crushed by the heavy body weight, there was a knock on the door. Emily and Kyle, startled, quickly got up.
"Excuse me! It's not a bedroom there!"
Hearing Rebecca's nervous voice, the two blushed and laughed.
~
Maybe since it had been a while, it was awkward for the two of them to sit in the narrow carriage without talking. Maybe it was because she was embarrassed to let go of her anger so quickly. Emily coughed for no reason, opened the window of her carriage and called Kyle's name.
“Kyle.”
"Yes."
“What were you going to do if I didn't go back to the mansion after all this?”
“I would come every night and sing a song of a minstrel that is now popular in the capital.” (TN: refer to Chapter 11).
Emily's head turned toward Kyle. Kyle looked serious as always. Again, Emily's face turned red.
“That would be so rude to Rebecca! A disgrace!”
“Yes, didn’t you want me to express my love even if I risked losing face?”
"You…!”
He’s so brazen! Why was his memory so good? After suffering amnesia once, his memory seems to have improved. Kyle grinned as he saw Emily bit her lip.
“I will definitely do it as soon as possible.”
"I do not need it!"
The voices of a man and a woman quarreling continued to leak out of the carriage until it reached the Lampard mansion.
[Previous Chapter] [TOC] [Next Chapter]
Comments
Post a Comment